Happy Sunday friends! I absolutely love cooking for my friends and family. I whipped up this delicious Brussels sprouts side-dish/ appetizer for my husband and me last night. I knew it was a hit when my husband was silently eating, he’s rarely ever quiet! When we finished eating, he told me this is one of the best dishes I’ve ever made and I’ve been cooking for him for the last 15 years!
- fresh Brussels Sprouts 1 lb or more
- 2-3 slices of bacon
- Olive oil
- red onion
- optional red pepper flakes (I like things spicy!)
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- block of cream cheese
- 1/3 c mayonaise
- 1/3 c bleu cheese crumbles
- minced chives/green onion
- Sriracha as much as you dare!
- Begin by frying the bacon. I prefer to cook in cast iron, I really think it enhances the flavor.
- While the bacon is frying, begin slicing the Brussels sprouts. I slice them lengthwise into thirds or fourths, depending on the size.
3. When bacon is done, I prefer mine crispy, remove from the skillet and let it cool. I always rest my bacon on a plate with a couple of paper towels to absorb some of the excess grease.
4. Next, add Brussels sprouts to the skillet the bacon was cooked in. Add a little olive oil and turn the burner up to medium-high.
5. Dice the red onion and add to skillet, I used half of a medium red onion.
6. Stir well and let cook for 5-10 minutes. I like to let the Brussels sprouts get a nice sear from the pan. If you want a little more spice, add some red pepper flakes.
7. Dice up the bacon and add to pan.
8. Stir the Brussels sprouts mixture well and turn down the heat to low.
9. Mix together the cream cheese, mayo, bleu cheese, chives and sriracha. If needed, put the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 10-15 seconds to soften. Stir mixture well. I recommend adding a small amount of sriracha at a time.
10. Check the Brussels sprouts, they are ready to serve when they are fork tender.
I plated the Brussels sprouts and let them cool for a few minutes, before eating.
I hope you enjoy this dish! It was so easy to make and really tasty. Let me know what you think after you try it out.